There are many clever ways you can supplement your income. In fact, everyone should have multiple income streams to help you achieve your goals sooner. Whether you plan to pay off debt, build an emergency fund, or save to retire early, having multiple sources is helpful in your path to financial freedom.
I started learning about the gig economy and side hustles when I began this blog. I needed to find ways to generate income without restricting me to a 9-5 job. Eventually, I learned about the clever ways other bloggers were supplementing their income.
Here is my list of side hustles and gigs I recommend. Side hustles with an asterisk mean I've done them myself.
Make Money Blogging. Vlogging, or Talking (3)
- Blog about your ideas, passions, and skills. Starting a blog is easy and starts with choosing a hosting provider. I recommend Bluehost (at $3.95/mo plus free domain you can't go wrong). Read more about how to start a blog and ways to make money.
- Make YouTube videos and tutorials. Millions of people watch YouTube videos not just for entertainment but for educational purposes too. Have a skill or expertise. Share your knowledge through videos. Use your smartphone camera to film your video and upload. Create a Google Adsense account to start earning revenues from ads that play.
- Start a podcast and share insights or interview experts. Starting a show isn't difficult but creating a quality podcast can take time. The advice has been to start. And you can do this by recording yourself or the interviews via Skype, using Audacity (free software), and an iPhone ear jack with a microphone. Many podcasters use the Blue Snowball iCE Condensor Microphone or the Audio Technica ATR2100 USB microphone.
Earn Money Back with Your Stuff (6)
- Sell your furniture, tools, and appliance. Don't trash them. Sell them on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or eBay.*
- Sell your used clothes and items. Poshmark is a good place to sell your designer clothes to others.
- Sell your books and DVDs. Decluttr will buy your used tech, books, and DVDs.
- Sell your smartphone. Make money from your old phone through the website Gazelle, which buys the phone from you without the need to deal with buyers.*
- Sell your photos. Shutterstock is a marketplace to buy and sell your photography.
- Sell your smartphone photos. Foap marketplace knows smartphones have come a long way in taking great photos. You can earn money selling your photos of the unconventional or unplanned moments.
Earn Money with Your Car (4)
- Help people get to where they need as a ridesharing driver. Apps like Uber and Lyft can help you earn some serious dollars as a driver. Lyft, for instance, offers incentives and bonuses to get you on the road and make more.*
- Delivery food for restaurants and fast food places. UberEats helps you earn money delivering food from any participating restaurant.
- Rent your car to other drivers or travelers. Make money with renting your car out to others when not in use. Turo is a marketplace connect car owners with drivers.*
- Deliver products from Amazon. Depending on the location you live in, you could be delivering items for Amazon using your car and choosing your hours. Check out Amazon Flex.
Earn Money with your Time (6)
- Complete errands and tasks for others. With apps like TaskRabbit, you can earn money helping put together furniture or delivering a package.*
- Spend your time dog sitting or walking. Rover connects you to dog owners who need help walking and caring for their furry family members.
- Babysit children when parents want a date night. Care.com is a marketplace that connects you with parents needing babysitters.
- Help senior adults. Care.com connects you with seniors who need help around the house or completing tasks.
- Clean other people's homes. Post an ad on Facebook or Craigslist for your services.
- Complete simple tasks online. Use your computer to perform tasks posted on Amazon's Mechanical Turk.
Earn Money with your Skills (6)
- Design logos and short videos for entrepreneurs. Fiverr is a marketplace that connects those seeking creative work with creators and designers.*
- Share your city with tourists. Love your city and meeting travelers? Vayable offers local guide opportunities for you to earn money sharing your favorite spots.
- Write articles for others. Use your writing skills and earn money. Textbroker connects you with online publishers.
- Become a freelance writer with top brands. Are you a more seasoned writer? Try out Contently.*
- Support an entrepreneur as a virtual assistant. Have administration skills or handy with a spreadsheet? Earn money as someone's virtual assistant completing tasks for them remotely. Find jobs on Upwork.
- Offer your professional services. Join a marketplace that connects you to customers looking for help in fixing HVAC, unclogging a drain, painting, and other services. Thumbtack is a great place to start.*
Earn Money Online or with Your Smartphone (4)
- Do secret shops and audits. With your smartphone, you can complete retail audits by snapping photos or conducting customer service shops. Gigwalk and FieldAgent are apps that help you do exactly that.*
- Complete online surveys. Make money completing online surveys. Use Opinion Outpost or Pinecone Research*
- Use a different browser. Start using Swagbucks to do your online searches. You'll earn points redeemable for gift cards like Amazon.*
- Become a search engine agent. Search engines hire companies to ensure search results are relevant. Learn about opportunities with LeapForceAtHome.
Make Money with Your Online Store (2)
- Sell your handmade craft or artwork. Many shoppers are looking for unique crafts. Etsy makes this possible for you to create your own store.
- Sell your designs on t-shirts, hats, mugs, and more. Use Cafepress or Printful to start your on-demand customized print store.
Make Money with Your Space (3)
- Rent your spare bedroom. Using AirBNB, you can rent your room to travelers seeking a more home feel during their travels.*
- Rent your driveway or parking spot. If you live downtown or near points of interest (like stadiums, venus, etc) rent your drive and make money. Justpark lists your space for those seeking a parking spot.*
- Rent your boat. Boats are expensive to maintain and you can unlock earning potential when not in use. Boatsetter makes this possible through their marketplace.
Make Money Teaching (5)
- Become an instructor. Many people want to learn specific skills. With Udemy, you can teach a course on any subject online.
- Create a course online. Teachable makes it easy for you to share your knowledge with others through a compelling online platform. Share your knowledge and make recurring income.
- Teach English or a foreign language. iTalki connects you with people all over the world trying to learn new languages. You set your own price too.
- Be a tutor to a college student. Through Chegg, you can earn money tutoring students in a variety of subjects.
- Teach people through a book you've written. Self-publish your novel and sell directly on Amazon. I self-published a crowdfunding book a few years ago. It still makes me a few dollars.
Earn Money with Your Body (2)
- Cash through a clinical trial. Join a study and make money from pharmaceutical companies conducting human drug trials. Check the website: www.ClinicalTrials.gov
- Donate your plasma. Find a plasma center near you and make a few dollars donating your plasma for medical use to treat some rare diseases. Check the website: www.DonatingPlasma.org
Make Money with Money (1)
- Fund the loans of others. Through Prosper and LendingClub, you can invest in personal loans for higher returns.
Make Money hosting Groups (1)
- Create an interest group. Do you have a fondness for SciFi movies or outdoor hikes? Start a group on Meetup and create paid activities.
Come back often as we continue to update this article of clever ways to earn and make money. Do you have any other ideas?