Stockpile helps you invest any amount in your favorite companies with zero trading fees and commissions along with the ability to buy stock gift cards.
Are you new to investing and looking for a simple way to get started?
What is Stockpile?
Stockpile is an online brokerage that lets you trade individual stocks, fractional shares, and exchange-traded funds (ETFs). All trades are made through the mobile app or desktop platform with zero trading commissions.
Stockpile shines best in class for its custodial accounts. Stockpile custodial accounts give teens and children under 18 years old the opportunity to invest in the stock market.
With Stockpile gift cards, you can also buy your family and friends the gift of stock.
How Does Stockpile Work?
If you’re new to investing, then Stockpile is a great app-based brokerage to consider. With Stockpile, you can do the following:
- Buy and sell shares of stock, ETFs, and fractional shares of both.
- Give the gift of stock to family and friends.
- Open a custodial account for children under 18 years old.
You can invest in stocks and funds with as little as $5.
Stockpile’s mission is to simplify investing through gift cards, custodial accounts, and fractional shares.
Features and Benefits
- Zero-commissions – No commissions or trading fees for buying and selling stocks.
- Stocks and ETFs – Buy shares in companies you know and enjoy. The ETFs offered are managed by experts like Fidelity, Vanguard, and Blackrock.
- Fractional shares – Buy stock of companies in any amount you can afford. You can start with as little as $5 without needing to afford the entire share.
- Stock gift cards – Give a gift card to others redeemable for the purchase of stock.
- Custodial accounts – Teach the importance of investing to kids with a custodial brokerage account.
- Be 18 years or older
- Valid Social Security Number
- Legal U.S. residential address within the 50 states, Puerto Rico, or the District of Columbia
- U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or have a valid U.S. visa
- Trade fee: $0
- Account minimum: $0
Stockpile has no minimum account balance, no account fees, no trading fees, and charges zero commissions to buy and sell stocks.
Who is it best for?
Stockpile is best for beginners and children under 18 years old. With its simple interface, it takes away the overwhelm that many newbie investors fee. If you’ve been afraid to buy and sell stocks, Stockpile is a good option for you.
Parents and adults with children in their life can offer a gift that will continue to grow with custodial accounts and stock gift cards.
Stockpile is a legit company and brokerage service. It’s not a scam. Stockpile is rated 4.7 out of 5 stars in the App Store with glowing reviews on how great it is for beginners.
In our Stockpile review, we learned it’s one of the best online brokerages to introduce the stock market to children under 18 years old. It has a very user-friendly intuitive mobile app and desktop platform. Additionally, Stockpile gift cards are great alternative gifts for people.
To get Stockpile customer service help, you’ll need to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stockpile Pros and Cons
- No minimum — get started without a minimum balance requirement.
- Easy to trade – a simple interface makes investing fun.
- No trading fees — no commissions, no debit card fees, no gift fees.
- Fractional Shares — own fractions of well-known brands with high stock prices.
- Limited functionality – offers the basics needed to buy and sell stocks with no research tools or charts.
- Limited investments – No access to mutual funds and bonds.
- No real-time trading — Tall trades are executed at the close of the stock market which is 4 PM Eastern Time.
How to start a Stockpile account
The time needed: 3 minutes.
Step-by-Step to open an investing account
- Get started
- Create an account by clicking on the link here.
- Enter your information
- Provide your first and last name, social security number, and address.
- Account verification
- Identity is verified electronically otherwise additional documents may be requested.
Keep in mind: Stockpile does not use credit scores to open accounts. It may also take 24 hours before you can start trading during regular business hours.
Why Fractional Shares?
Many soon-to-be investors believe they cannot afford to invest. Giving more people the opportunity to invest in their favorite brands can spur them to learn more about the market. Fractional shares can help investors afford a piece of very expensive stocks like Amazon.
Why Stockpile Gift Cards?
Gift cards are a unique way to get others–children and adults– interested in investing. They work similar to other retail gift cards but are redeemable at Stockpile. Just pick a stock and any dollar amount – even pay with a debit or credit card. Instead of gifting your children toys, you could give them a gift card towards a share of stock of their favorite brands.
There are no Stockpile fees to buy e-gift cards and there is no trading fee to redeem gift cards.
Stockpile gift cards are also available as physical cards in denominations of $25, $50, and $100.
Why Stockpile Custodial Account?
Open a brokerage account for a child in your life. The features of custodial accounts include:
- Owned by a minor but managed by an adult called the “custodian.”
- The custodian does not have to be a parent.
- You can’t take back the gift after you give it to the minor.
You can buy whole or fractional shares of 4,000+ stocks and ETFs. The child owns the stock while the adult (custodian) has legal account responsibility. Teach your child the importance of investing. In addition, you can purchase e-gifts or physical gift cards to help your child buy shares.