Stash Invest allows you to invest with as little as $5 with an easy-to-use platform for beginner investors.
What is Stash Invest?
Stash Invest makes investing simple for first-time investors with a comprehensive investment app to help you achieve financial goals. With Stash, you get an all-in-one finance app to invest, bank and retire well. You can DIY or use automated investing.
Join the over 5 million people using Stash for financial freedom.
Stash is built with a philosophy that everyone should have access to investing. They deliver on the idea with access, guidance, and financial education.
Access the stock market with fractional shares of individual stocks and exchange-traded funds (ETFs). And earn stock rewards with the stock-back card.
How Stash Invest Works
Stash shines with its user-friendly interface and an educational centered design.
- DIY investing and automation: choose how involved you want to be with your investing journey. Choose your own stocks and ETFs and decide on a values-based thematic investing, or have Smart Portfolio do it for you.
- Get fractional shares: investing starts at $5 for the long-term investor.
- Invest automatically: set it and let your investments grow from round-up features to recurring deposits.
- Integrated banking options: earn bonus stock rewards with Stash’s Stock-Back card along with no hidden banking fees.
With Stash Invest, you can invest on your own or let Stash’s automated investing algorithms do it for you or have both.
Stash Investments LLC (‘Stash’) is an SEC-registered investment adviser. Advisory products and services are offered through Stash Investments LLC. Stash Capital LLC, an SEC-registered broker-dealer and member FINRA/SIPC.
Stash banking account opening is subject to identity verification by Green Dot Bank, an FDIC-insured bank.
Start your Stash of investments because investing is for everyone.
Features and Benefits
Stash integrates investing and banking features.
With Stash Invest, you get:
- Smart mix: your investment picks are guided by financial research and your own risk level.
- Smart portfolio: an automated portfolio that you can easily add your cash and let Stash do the work.
- Automatic rebalancing: ensure your allocation doesn’t drift 5% from your target.
- Dividend reinvestment: compound your portfolio growth by automatically reinvesting dividends.
- Diversification analysis: get guidance on creating a diversified portfolio.
With Stash Banking, you get:
Stock round-ups: invest spare change from qualifying purchases made with your Stock-Back® Card. It rounds up your purchase to the nearest dollar and automatically invests the spare change in a matching stock or a custom stock of your choice.
- Early payday: Get 2 days early with a direct deposit of your paycheck.
- Track spending: Learn insights and set a spending budget to improve your financial habits.
- Instant transfers: Transfers within Stash between your investment portfolio cash and your bank account are instant.
- Auto-save: Use automated tools to auto-invest into your portfolio.
- No hidden fees: No overdraft, minimum balance, or hidden fees.
Open an account with Stash Invest and set your investments in auto-pilot.
Stash Financial Products
The Stash Beginner plans give advice, investing access, banking, and insurance.
- Stash Invest – comprehensive app to invest in stocks, ETFs, fractional shares.
- Stash Spend – your online bank, powered by Green Dot Bank, to accelerate your investing goals. Get checking, debit card, and banking features similar to traditional bank accounts. Green Dot Bank holds the funds in Stash Banking accounts.
- Stash Retirement – invest now for a better future using a tax-advantaged account. Savings in an IRA can benefit from compounding and time. Retirement investing with traditional and Roth IRAs are available.
- Stash Custodial – invest in your child’s future with custodial accounts. Invest in fractional shares, individual stocks, and ETFs on your schedule. Teach your child about investing. Funds in custodial accounts can be used for college, apartments, cars, or any purpose.
Stash offers 3 subscription plans.
- Stash Beginner: $1 per month with access to advice, investing, banking, and insurance.
- Stash Growth: $3 per month includes all Beginner benefits and personal advice, Smart Portfolio, and retirement accounts.
- Stash+: $9 per month includes benefits from Beginner and Growth with advice for family finance and custodial accounts.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Social security number.
- Verifiable personal information.
Excluding the monthly subscription fees, the fee structure includes:
- Trading fees: $0
- Statement fees: $0
- Banking maintenance fee: $0
Please note that additional banking fees may apply. They include an Out-of-Network ATM withdrawal fee.
Who is it best for?
Stash Invest is best for new investors. The automation, guidance, and support is well integrated to help you achieve your financial goals.
Stash is best for new investors looking for guidance and support as the app is cleverly designed to help beginners build their portfolios. It’s a great app for anyone with minimal investing experience or a small amount of money. If you’re in the market for a new checking account, this app may benefit you more.
For experienced investors, you have other options available.
Stash Invest Review
Stash is a legitimate company and service. Its personal finance app is highly rated with 4.7 out of 5 stars in the App Store.
In our Stash Invest review, we learned how distinct the app is compared to its competitors. With Stash, the goal is long-term gains and financial literacy. It stands out with its highly integrated educational content.
Similar to other investing apps, you can buy fractional shares of stocks and ETFs making it easy for beginners to participate. The Smart Portfolio service uses your age and risk tolerance to provide a personal portfolio
The management fee of $3 for their Beginner plan is affordable for most looking for a robust personal investment. Need more features? You can easily upgrade to other plans.
Start investing with Stash and build your portfolio starting with $5.
Pros and Cons
- No minimum investment
- Simple fee plan
- Helpful automatic savings and investing feature
- Diversified portfolio
- No wealth management for bigger investment goals.
How to Start a Stash Invest Account
The time needed: 3 minutes.
Step-by-Step to opening an account with Stash
- Getting started
- Click “Get Started” to open an account or click this link.
- Enter your information
- Submit your personal information such as name, email, and password.
- Fund your account
- Add at least $5 to your investment account.
- Choose your investments
- Start investing and build your portfolio.
Stash Invest Alternatives
When it comes to investing apps, you have options. For newbie investors, consider alternatives such as M1 Finance (read our M1 review) and Acorns (read the Acorns review).
Find more investing apps in the marketplace or read our 5 best micro-investing apps for beginners.
by Jason Vitug
Stash Review: Is Stash Right for You?
I’ve used Stash for over two years. It’s changed quite a bit and has become one of my favorite investment apps. It now has much of the same Acorn round-up features with a better value proposition.
Unlike Acorns, Stash allows me to buy fractional shares and can choose stocks and ETFs. It’s not a robo-advisor, but Stash offers enough knowledge and guidance in how to invest (not where to invest) that it really shines.
If you’re looking for a comprehensive financial app centered on investing to create wealth, then definitely check out Stash.
Pros & Cons
✓ Educational content and high level of support
✓ Auto-save features
✓ Stock-back rewards
✓ Value-based investments options
☓ No portfolio management
☓ Higher expense ratios on ETFs
Stash is a worthy investing app to consider. It’s the reason it made it into our best micro-investing list. In this Stash review, I hope you learned how this service is best for beginner investors looking for more guidance in building a portfolio. The app is well designed to help you understand how to buy your first stock or ETF, even if it’s only a fraction of a share.
With a comprehensive offering, Stash can be your all-in-one financial app helping you invest, earn, save, and spend. The checking and debit card with no hidden fees, no minimum account, early payday, and auto-saving features can help a lot of people manage money better.
If you’re a more experienced investor, you have other options available such as M1 Finance. You can also find alternative options in our financial marketplace.
But Stash can serve your financial needs in other ways. If you’ve been looking for an app that integrates the features of Acorns, Digit, and Robinhood, then look no further.