The article may contain affiliate links from partners. The words, opinions, and reviews are our own. Learn how we make money to support our financial wellness mission.

When you want to change the names on a bond, you must ask Treasury to reissue the bond. That means you give up the bond you hold and get a new one in its place. Treasury cancels and retires the old bond and issues a new bond. The new bond has the same series, same issue date, and same total face amount as the old bond. Reissuing a bond may have tax consequences; that is, the original owner may need to pay taxes on interest earned before the bond was reissued.

Main Menu