There are many ways to earn money online or get cashback for your purchases. But how do you sift through the legitimate and scam websites? I’ve tested out a number of websites and apps from Ebates to BeFrugal to the iBotta app. I, finally, had time to test and review Swagbucks that’s been around for years.
First, I want to settle the debate if Swagbucks is a scam or fake. Swagbucks is a legitimate website. It’s owned by Prodoge, LLC and its been around since 2005. It has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau with a mix of positive and negative reviews.
I’ve found there are many people who earn lots of points through this service. In fact, during my first 30 minutes, I earned enough SB points to redeem for $12 in Amazon certificate. However, earning points require some changes to your shopping habits and many of the opportunities (such as surveys or videos to watch) take up a significant amount of time.
What is Swagbucks?
Swagbucks is a website that lets you earn points called Swagbucks that can be redeemed for gift cards. You earn points by using Swagbucks to do the following: searching, shopping, answering surveys, watching videos, and referring friends. Swagbucks is a legitimate website and business.
Ready to get started earning rewards? Here’s how to use Swagbucks.
How to earn Swagbuck points
Swagbucks or SB points are the currency you earn for completing various tasks on Swagbucks. Swagbucks are worth around a penny ($0.01). At the time of our testing, 500 SB points equaled to $5.00 Amazon gift card.
- Search – By using Swagbucks as your search engine. Results are okay but may be cumbersome for those who prefer quick browser searches. Swagbucks uses Yahoo/Bing for their search engines and the results are less than stellar.
- Deals/Discover – Earn points by trying out deals that tend to offer more points.
- Referrals – Share Swagbucks with others and earn SB points. For instance, if you sign up using our link you’ll earn 150 points ($1.50) and we earn points.
- Shopping – Shop online with your favorite retailers through Swagbucks. (Other cashback websites may offer better deals with the same retailer).
- Watching videos – Earn points watching videos but the videos can be much longer than you anticipate.
- Answer surveys – Depending on how you fit demographically, you’ll get surveys to complete and the time it takes varies and so do the points.
- Inbox Offers – These are messages about special offers that may include higher SB points like free product samples or completing an offer.
- Play games –Earn SB points when you make in-game purchases through their partners or play our original free games and earn randomly.
Tips for Swagbucks Success
- Be mindful of the value of your time. Completing a survey where you earn 500 points equaling to $5.00 means you’re earning below minimum wage.
- Use Swagbucks as you normally would for searches or shopping deals.
- Check to see if offers and shopping incentives are better here than other cash back shopping websites.
Points Redemption and Payout
Redeeming points is quite simple. Go to your account and choose Redeem SB points. You’ll have the option to choose Paypal (if you have enough points) or redeem for Amazon gift cards (starting at 500 SB points = $5).
How to join Swagbucks
Signing up with Swagbucks is easy. Click here to get started and receive a $10 bonus when you activate the Swag Ups section of your account.
After creating your account, earn SB points by filling out your profile, installing apps, and browser buttons. These are easy things to do and even if you’re not extremely tech savvy can complete in a few seconds.
My Smile Summary: Is Swagbucks for you?
I took the time to test drive Swagbucks because we’re asked if it’s a legitimate way of making money. You can earn SB points that can be redeemed for gift cards or Paypal (requires more SB points). When you sign up for Swagbucks, you can earn lots of SB points initially that may be enough for a $5 Amazon gift card.
After testing the website, I discovered it takes a lot of time and devotion to earn enough SB points so you may find yourself using up hours of your time for pennies. Now, if you use Swagbucks to do your typical search requests (using Swagbucks instead of Google), you’ll earn points here and there which may add up to enough SB points for a gift card a few months down the line. This doesn’t require any more of your time or effort.
Swagbucks has inbox offers for special promotions and product samples that can earn you SB points. Some offers are easy and done in a couple minutes. While others like product samples, take you into a confusing set of surveys and popups. This is not Swagbucks but the merchants they partner with. I did not like this at all. It got confusing to follow what I was actually filling out to get the SB points.
In one sitting, I tried getting 25 points by enrolling in free sample products. It said 3 steps. It took me 32 minutes to go through the process. I am still unsure if I ever completed the steps but I didn’t see the points. I’d stay away from that time-suck.
However, there are faster ways to earn points through Swagbucks Local and Shop. These are services that are similar to Ebates where you earn cashback but with Swagbucks, you earn points instead.
My final conclusion is for you to determine if earning a few points is worth your time. It can be and since it’s free to use and try for yourself you can join Swagbucks and see for yourself. Currently, they are offering a $3 bonus by using this link today.