Over 44 million people have student loan debt totaling over $1.4 trillion. Your student loans are probably weighing you down. If you’re considering ways to lower your payment and getting rid of them, consider refinancing or consolidating your student loans.
What is SoFi?
SoFi is an online financial services company offering student loan refinancing, personal loans, and mortgages. They’ve been around since 2011 and is one of the fastest growing company focused on eliminating student loan debt.
SoFi Student Loan Refinance Details
- Refinance both federal and private student loans.
- Fixed rates: 3.25% to 7.25% APR.
- Variable rates: 2.58% to 7.07% APR.
- Loan terms available: 5, 7, 10, 15 or 20 years.
- Eligible loan balances: $5,000, up to the full balance of your student loans
- No origination fee.
- No prepayment fees.
*accurate as of January 8, 2018
- Age of majority and can enter into a binding contract.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Refinancing educational loans.
- Bachelor degree.
- Good to excellent credit score.
- Employed or offer letter to start a job within 90 days.
- Good standing with existing student loans.
- Strong monthly cash-flow.
All loans are subject to credit review and approval and your rate depends upon credit score, loan amount, loan term, and credit usage and history.
SoFi Loan Payment
Your repayment terms will depend on your APR and loan term. Loan forbearance up to 12 months in 3-month increments. Loan deferment for borrowers who return to graduate school half- or full-time, serve on active military duty or undergo disability rehabilitation.
Experience. Get a rate estimate from SoFi through the online pre-approval process. This involves a soft credit pull, which won’t affect your credit. If you decide to complete the full application, the lender will do a hard credit pull, which will slightly hurt your credit score.
The SoFi Student Loan Refinance application process is simple:
- Get a Pre-Approval (without impacting your credit score).
- Select Loan
- Upload and Sign
Do you qualify?
|Credit Score||Good or Excellent|
|Education||Bachelor’s degree or higher|
How do you apply with SoFi
SoFi lets you check your rate with a soft credit inquiry (doesn’t affect your credit score) to give you an estimate of your rate. You’ll have the option of choosing your loan terms. Then, SoFi will do a hard credit inquiry once you decide to complete the full application.
What documents do you need for your SoFi Application?
- Income verification, such as your most recent pay stub
- Your most recent student loan billing statements
- Identity verification (driver’s license, government-issued photo ID, passport or green card)
Other SoFi student loan refinancing details
Not available to borrowers in Nevada.
No co-signer release option. If you have a loan with a cosigner, both parties are liable for the loan until it is paid in full. Unless you refinance and qualify on your own.
Loan servicer: MOHELA
Deferment and forbearance. A loan deferment for borrowers who return to graduate school half- or full-time, serve on active military duty or undergo disability rehabilitation. Up to 12 months of forbearance in three-month increments.
Access to career perks. Borrowers with SoFi can meet with the company’s career coaches to get resume feedback, salary negotiation tips, and advice about career transitions.
Alternative to SoFi
If you need a student loan refinance in Nevada or your cosigner would like to be removed from the loan in a couple years, consider LendKey. Read our LendKey Review.