Public.com is a social investing app that makes it possible to own the companies you believe in with any amount of money and commission-free trading. Are you looking to start investing?
What is Public.com
Public.com is a brokerage firm offering taxable brokerage accounts. You can trade stocks, fractional shares, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and cryptocurrencies. All trades are made through the mobile app with zero commission fees. The community of investors can support Public.com’s mission with the optional tipping feature.
Public Company focuses on building your investing knowledge, foster social interaction, and support long-term investing.
If you’re new to the investing journey, Public.com is great for a first-time investor. With an intuitive design, you can quickly build a stock portfolio for long-term growth.
How Public.com App Works?
If you have a minimal understanding of the stock market and limited funds, then Public.com is an excellent option to consider. With the Public.com app, you can do the following:
- Buy and sell individual stocks, fractional shares, and exchange-traded funds (ETFs)
- Research company and evaluate stock price.
- Engage with a community of investors and experts.
- Get news alerts for the companies you invest in and follow.
You can invest in stocks and funds for as little as $5 as a stock slice. Buy them by the slice or an entire share of stock.
Features & Benefits
Public.com offers a friendly and intuitive user interface.
- Trading in stocks and ETFs – Invest in common stocks and the original ETFs from Vanguard, BlackRock, and others. Mutual funds are not supported.
- Buy fractional shares – Buy “slice of stock” or ETFs with any amount of money, no matter the price per share, and in real-time.
- Public community – follow friends and expert investors, share insights, and interact with others.
- Social feeds: see what others are investing in and improve your financial literacy.
- Lives: Participate in live discussions with industry experts and business leaders.
- Group message and chats – start or join group chats to talk about companies and trends. Talk about investments with one person or up to 100. Embed dynamic charts or reference other investors directly in the conversation. Share Zoom-like links to invite other people to join your group.
- Earn free stock – Grow your portfolio by making your friends investors through a generous referral program.
Investments made in Public insured for up to $500,000. See SIPC for details.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Valid Social Security Number
- Legal U.S. residential address
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or have a valid visa
- Trading fees: $0
- Minimum Deposit: $0
Public.com does not charge commission fees but provides users a way to tip (pay for the service) with each trade. Tipping is optional.
Who is it best for?
Public stock trading is best for new investors with little knowledge. But, it’s also great for advanced traders and experts who want to share their investment experience.
Public is a legitimate company and not a scam. It’s a trusted commission-free brokerage app helping a community invest, engage, and learn. Public.com is rated 4.7 out of 5 stars in the App Store.
In our Public.com review, we learned it’s a remarkably different experience compared to Robinhood and Webull. The focus is on creating long-term investors, not stock traders. There is no day trading allowed, no margin loans, and no complex investment securities.
The mobile app, available on iOS and Android, is user-friendly and has a sleek interface.
For many, stock market investing can seem complicated. Fortunately, Public has made a seamless investment app that focuses on financial knowledge and community interaction. Although the Public community is excellent, it’s wise to be mindful of financial advice or investment ideas shared by others. Remember always to perform due diligence.
As a commission-free broker, how does Public.com earn money? Public has shared they make money through interest earned from uninvested cash balances, optional tipping, and securities lending to banks, market makers, and institutional investors.
Pros and Cons
- User-friendly and intuitive interface
- No account minimums
- Fractional shares of stocks and ETFs
- Community engagement
- No website access, brokerage only accessible via mobile app.
- Limited research tools, data analysis, and charts.
How to start a Public.com account
The time needed: 3 minutes.
Step-by-Step to open an investing account
- Get started
- Create an account by clicking on the link here.
- Enter your phone number
- Download the app from the texted link.
- Submit your application
- Provide your first and last name, social security number, and address.
- Link your external bank account.
- Fund with a link bank account or debit card