So you want famous FICO® credit score and you can get that through myFICO.
What Is myFICO?
MyFICO was created by the originators of the FICO score, the Fair Isacc Corporation.
MyFICO also tracks changes in various aspects of your financial life. Therefore, the service also acts as a first defense against identity theft, overwhelming credit card debt, and other financial issues you may face down the road. In order to get your score, you'll pay a one-time fee or subscribe to a monthly service to get your FICO® score from the creators of it.
Is myFICO a scam?
MyFICO is not a scam and is a legitimate offer from the makers of the FICO score.
MyFICO credit report and FICO score offers
MyFICO does not offer free credit reports or credit scores. Depending on your credit monitoring needs, they have a few paid options to choose from.
An important note from myFICO: “All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO or another type of credit score altogether.”
FICO® 3B Ultimate Report (recurring until cancellation)
- Instant access and get quarterly updates to your most widely used FICO®Scores and a new 3-bureau credit report
- Track your FICO® Score 8 from each bureau on a historical tracking graph
- Monitor your 3 credit reports for changes, and get FICO® Score 8 updates with each new alert
- Detect threats to your personal information with intelligent identity theft monitoring
- Restore your identity with expert identity theft features
What you get with the Paid Monthly myFICO service
Both of the monthly service options include the following features:
- Lost Wallet Protection: Coverage for credit cards, passports, military ID cards, drivers’ licenses, checkbooks, insurance cards, and more. There may be some restrictions.
- $1 Million Identity Theft Insurance: myFICO will reimburse covered expenses related to credit restoration such as legal fees, lost wages, and more.
- 24/7 Full-Service Identity Restoration: myFICO's certified identity resolution specialists will help you 24/7 if someone misuses your credit.
Is it worth the price?
It can be and that depends on what you're goal ultimately is. Everyone should track and monitor their credit reports. There are free apps out there that do a really good job like Credit Sesame or Credit Karma. But with paid services you don't have to worry about being cross-sold (yes that's how free credit score apps make money to offer you a service). Also, if you want your actual FICO® score you'll need to play by FICO®‘s rules and that means paying for them.
What exactly are you paying for with myFICO?
Although credit scores are the main part of the myFICO product, they are not the only thing you get. If you subscribe to their monthly plans, they also provide users with alerts that help them stay in tune with their goals, credit scores, growth and more.
- Credit Score Updates – If your credit score goes up or down, you’ll be notified, it’s that simple.
- Interest Rate Alerts – When it comes to debt, interest is most likely the highest fee you pay associated with your loans.
- New Credit – One of the best ways to protect yourself against identity theft is to track your credit report and make sure you’re aware of any and all new credit that shows up on it. Set up alerts so that you’re informed anytime a new credit inquiry is made on your account.
- Newly Active Accounts – When generally inactive accounts become active, myFICO will make sure you know it’s happening.
- Address & Phone Number – If you have any accounts listed with a different address or phone number, you’ll be notified.
- Public Records – Sometimes, consumers have no clue what may pop up on their public records. Bankruptcies, liens, and more are all public record. If something like this pops up on yours, you’ll be notified.
- Collections – When an account is sent to collections, it could have a dramatic effect on your credit score. myFICO offers alerts that let you know if you have any accounts have been moved to collections.
- Account Balance Increases – It’s also important to know if your account balances have any sudden increases. myFICO alerts will help you make sure that you’re aware of this type of activity.