What Is Moven?
Moven is a financial services provider offering a digital account (checking account), spend tracking app, and debit card. Moven is not a bank, but partners with CBW bank to offer banking services through an innovative app. Deposits at Moven is FDIC insured up to $250,000.
How Does Moven Work
Moven isn’t a budgeting app. Moven’s digital account works similar to online bank accounts with a few innovative features. The Moven app tracks your real-time spending giving you a better insight into how you manage money.
The Moven digital account that works like a checking account without the checkbook. You receive an account number and a routing number. You’ll need these numbers for direct deposits, bank transfers, and anything involving electronic transfers of money into and out of your account.
With Moven, you need to connect a funding account (your primary bank account) to your Moven spending account. A funding account isn’t necessary but makes transferring money from your primary bank to the Moven account easier.
Why bother having a primary bank and a Moven account? The app’s features may help you manage your money better improving your overall financial health.
What do you get with Moven?
- ATM Access – 42,000 ATMs can be accessed surcharge-free through their ATM network.
- Depositing money – You can direct deposit your paycheck into Moven or transfer money from your existing bank/credit union account. Additionally, you can sign up for a service to deposit your check. Paper check deposits are available after 10 days which can be inconvenient. You can also deposit cash with participating retailers for a fee.
- Making a purchase – You can use your card number for online purchases and if you’re at physical location able to use your physical card, contactless sticker, or attached your Moven card to Apple Pay or Google Wallet.
- Request a check – You can request a check for mortgage payments or rent.
Features And Benefits
- Spending Alerts – Get real-time spending alerts giving you data that includes how much money was spent and when your card was used, a category of where your money was used giving you an idea of what you spend on, and compares your spending month-to-month.
- Overall Spending – See how you spend your money overall compared to your average monthly spending. Noticing a high spending month or category can help you improve your money management.
- Send Money – You can send money to friends or family even if they do not have a Moven account through email or text.
- Joint Accounts – Moven offers linked accounts where you can transfer between accounts for free, but each person will have their own card number.
- Moven Stash – A savings option that allows you to move from your spending account into savings account for future goals.
Some Cons with Moven
- Accounts with Moven are non-interest bearing accounts which could be fine since this is an account where the money goes in and out.
- Depositing cash can be a hassle and depositing checks are delayed so Moven is truly best if you’re digitally savvy. Direct deposit and online bank transfers are the easiest modes to get money into your Moven account.
- Moven does not charge you to open an account, deposit or transfer funds, or make a payment.
- Access to money using their ATM network is free, but you may be charged a fee by terminal owner outside of the network.
- You may pay a fee for additional services or expedited service requests.
- Moven charges a fee for closing your account at $10.