Mercari is an online marketplace where people buy and sell items. It has been around since 2009 and has become one of the largest e-commerce platforms in the world.
What is Mercari?
Mercari is a free service that allows anyone to start their own store. It’s similar to eBay, Etsy, Amazon, etc. The difference is that it’s free to use. The e-commerce platform allows you to declutter items that you no longer need while discovering new items that you actually want.
The selling platform is accessible through a mobile app and provides customer service with US-based employees.
If you want to learn how to make money using Mercari, then keep reading.
How to make money using Mercari
Many users have given high ratings for the platform claiming that they love Mercari and have shared they’ve made thousands of dollars in the last few years.
You can start selling anything on Mercari, from expensive items to handmade items. These include clothes, electronics, books, toys, furniture, home decor, jewelry, art, antiques, collectibles, cars, boats, motorcycles, tools, sporting goods, and much more. Popular items tend to sell faster and for more.
The Sellers can get paid at any time of day using their debit card and bank accounts directly from Mercari. The transaction is complete once the buyer and seller rate each other, and after that, the platform deposits the funds into your seller account.
How Mercari Seller Works
The only thing you need to get started is a Mercari account. You’re then connected to thousands of potential buyers.
- Easily add your items. With your mobile phone, take several photos of the item.
- Provide product descriptions of the item. Specify the brand or manufacturer and other information about the product.
- Set your sale price or let the system determine the price. If you decide to set a price, you can also choose whether to allow buyers to pay using PayPal or a credit card.
- Schedule your listing to go live at a certain date and time.
As a Mercari seller, you have access to Shipping Center along with shipping protection.
- Once you have a buyer, you package the product, print a prepaid label, and mail the package.
- It’s important to know you have 3 business days to ship the product.
Shipping is made possible through Mercari’s network of delivery service providers in the United States. For example, you can drop off the package at a UPS Store location.
The purchase is finalized when the buyer has received and rated the seller. Payment is then sent to the seller’s account.
How to Use Mercari
You can buy and sell almost anything, including clothing, kitchen appliances, bikes, electronics, mobile phones, radios, televisions, sporting gear, household items, and many other types of items.
Free shipping worldwide. UPS Store, USPS, and FedEx. Mercari collaborates with various delivery service providers to streamline the shipping and delivery process.
Fast delivery. A shipping label is available to sellers at a lower rate than other delivery service providers.
100% satisfaction guaranteed with ratings. A buyer is required to rate the seller after a transaction to have the transaction completed. Sellers can also rate the buyer.
Declutter and Purchase. Sellers can make money off items that they no longer need. And use this money to buy new items that they want.
- You must have an account with Mercari to be allowed to trade on the platform.
- You need to provide information such as debit card number, routing number, and valid bank account details.
- The platform is currently available for users who live in all 50 States in the United States and users in Japan.
- No listing fee. You are not charged any fee for posting your listings on this platform.
- Selling fee. A payment processing fee of 2.9% plus $0.30 for each payment received from the buyer
- Shipping fee. Shipping costs vary based on the items being delivered.
- Cash-out fee. No fee for direct deposit over $10. A fee of $2.00 for amounts below $10.
Mercari Review: Sellers
Overall Mercari review: the marketplace is safe, not a scam and legitimate business. The platform is user-friendly and given high ratings by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and rated as “Great” on Trustpilot.
Can you get scam buyers on Mercari?
It’s possible to get scammy buyers through any marketplace. Mercari has a team of people who monitor the platform 24/7 and ban users who try to do anything fraudulent or illegal. The robust rating system is also helpful in knowing whom you’re selling to.
Pros and Cons
- Wide variety of products, both new and used
- Has millions of registered users
- No contact between buyer and seller
- Considerably lower shipping costs
- A streamlined process of buying and selling
- Huge discounts when using the platform’s shipping labels
- Insurance coverage for products shipped
- Sales fees can be high
- Charge a fee for requesting withdrawal under $10
- Negative reviews can impact your store
Who is it Best For
Mercari is best suited for all kinds of users who want to sell unused items or buy new and used products at great prices. Buyers benefit because they can acquire quality products at affordable prices while the sellers can get rid of unused items and get some money in exchange.
Mercari is rated high among its users compared to eBay, another popular online marketplace. You still have many options, such as Poshmark and ThredUP for high fashion items. Or Facebook Marketplace and OfferUp to sell locally. And you can also look at selling tech gadgets to services like Gazelle.