M1 Finance Invest is a hybrid online brokerage and Robo-advisor offering a highly customizable investing experience for the DIY investor.
Are you looking for guidance and control over your investments? Continue reading to learn how to invest your money and build a portfolio of stocks and ETFs for free with intelligent automation.
M1 Finance Overview
With M1 Finance, you can create portfolios containing low-cost ETFs, individual stocks, or both.
If you’re the type who wants both guidance and control over your investments, then M1 Finance is the investment app for you. It’s simple to use and offers a good balance of personal customization and expert advice through Pies.
M1 is unique in offering Pies–a capability to copy 80 expert investors or create your own. No minimum and no fees. Borrow from a flexible portfolio line of credit. Access cash and spend with an M1 checking account and debit card.
Ready to build your own investment pie? Click here to get started with M1 Finance.
M1 Finance: Invest Pie
M1 Finance Invest uses a Pie-based interface to make building and managing a portfolio easier and more intuitive. Choose from more than 6,000 stocks and funds to build Custom Pies or select from nearly 100 Expert Pies, designed to meet different financial goals and investment objectives. Uses modern portfolio theory (MPT) for diversified or optimal portfolio mixes assets to maximize returns while minimizing the risk.
M1 Finance Offers
- General investing: Individual or Joint Taxable Account.
- Retirement accounts: Traditional, Roth, or SEP IRA, and Rollovers.
- Trust accounts: Revocable and irrevocable trusts that are authorized to invest in securities.
Features and Benefits
- Free – no broker fees or commissions on trades.
- No minimum deposit – although $100 gets you started investing.
- Pies – copy the portfolio of expert investors or create your own.
- Automation – set up recurring deposits that automatically gets invested into your pie and keep your portfolio on track with dynamic rebalancing.
- Customization – build a custom portfolio of the stocks and funds you want or choose from more than 80 expert portfolios.
- Fractional Shares – Own stocks and ETFs, regardless of share price, with fractional shares.
What is M1 Finance?
M1 Finance is a money management platform focused on helping you invest, borrow, and spend your money. Over 500,000 investors choose to automate with M1 using intelligent tools, expert portfolios, and a DIY approach for the buy-and-hold investor.
M1 Finance Products
The M1 Basic account includes:
- Invest – Individual, joint, retirement, and trust accounts.
- Borrow – Flexible portfolio line of credit with just $10,000 invested.
- Spend – A checking account and debit card.
M1 offers the M1 Plus Account with key features including investing flexibility to invest in the morning or afternoon, borrow at 2%, spend and earn 1% cashback.
- M1 Basic – Free
- M1 Plus – $125 / year
M1 Finance Review
A great investing app for DIY investors who wants control and guidance. The Pie-based feature is quite helpful. However, M1 might not meet the needs of the active trader who wants to buy and sell with frequency. The apps goal is to help you maintain the course unless you choose to upgrade to M1 Plus which enables you to trade within the day’s trading window.
How to start an M1 Finance account
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Step-by-Step to opening an account with M1 Finance
- Getting started
- Choose your Pies
Choose your expert Pies or create your own.
- Enter your personal information
Connect your existing bank account