Blooom is your online financial advisor managing your 401(k)s and IRAs. With Blooom, you have the tools to optimize your returns and reach your retirement goals.
What is Blooom?
Blooom is a Robo-advisor who manages 401(k)s and other employer-sponsored retirement accounts and some IRAs. There’s no minimum account balance. Blooom Robo-advisor offers a unique service at a reasonable cost, merging technology and access to advisors.
If you work for a company offering an employer-sponsored retirement plan, you benefit from Blooom’s investment advice, analysis tool, and optimization.
Blooom is an SEC Registered Investment Advisor (RIA). RIAs are held to the highest standard when it comes to financial advice, also known as fiduciary. As a fiduciary investment advisor, Blooom places the interests of clients above the advisors’ benefit.
Do you feel confident about your retirement investing choices? You’re not alone. With Blooom, you get access to technology and seasoned financial advisors to help you reach your financial goals.
How Blooom Works?
Blooom manages any retirement plans regardless of employer or plan administrator. With Blooom, you can optimize your 401(k), 403(b), 457, and TSP plans. You do not need to open a new retirement account or transfer accounts to Blooom. And your employer does not need to partner with Blooom for you to access its services.
Unlike typical Robo-advisors, Blooom does not take custody of your retirement plan. They act as your investment management service.
- Answer questions about your goals and risk tolerance.
- Link your existing retirement accounts for portfolio analysis and insights.
- View your entire retirement investments in one place.
- See how your savings and retirement age can impact your investment goals.
- Learn about hidden investment fees and improper asset allocation.
- Become a client, get personalized fund choices, have trades places for you, and speak to a financial advisor.
It’s important to note that since Blooom works with your existing plan, it can only recommend investment options based on that plan. However, it will analyze the best assets for your situation with consideration to lowering fees.
Free 401(k) Analysis
Most people don’t think about their 401k investments. You make your elections and contributions and forget the rest. But that may cost you a good deal of money. With Blooom’s retirement account analysis, you can see how your fees and asset allocations compare with its recommendations.
Blooom’s retirement account analysis gives you an insight into ways to improve your retirement portfolio. After analysis, you can sign up for the paid service to manage your plan or take the recommendations and do it yourself.
Features & Benefits
Blooom offers the following services for free:
- retirement goal setting, financial planning tools, expert insights, the optimal strategy defined, analysis of current investments, ideal-to-actual comparison, and improvement tips.
And if you want to take the guesswork out of your retirement, Blooom offers subscription tiers–personalized portfolio, advisor access, and financial consulting. Based on the tiers, you’ll gain access to the following:
- No Balance Minimum
- Portfolio Management: no matter where you work or where the accounts are held, Blooom will research and identify the best funds for your situation.
- Personalized Fund Recommendations: get fund options for personalized portfolios that match your risk tolerance, diversify retirement assets and minimize hidden investment fees.
- Automated Notifications: get ongoing investment monitoring to keep your accounts aligned.
- Trade Assist: place trades yourself or chooses to have Blooom trade on your behalf.
- Advisor Access: work with a financial advisor through chat or email and get annual advisor consultation.
- Unlimited Accounts: have the following managed 401k, 401a, 403b, 457, TSP, traditional IRA, Roth IRA, SEP IRA, nondeductible IRA, Spousal IRA, Simple IRA, or Self-directed IRA.
Participating in employer retirement plans or having IRAs
- 401(k) analysis: $0
- IRA analysis: $0
To get advisory services, you’ll need to upgrade to a paid service.
- Personalized portfolio: $120 per year
- Advisor Access: $245 per year
- Financial Consulting: $395 per year
Who is it best for?
Blooom is best for anyone with retirement plans and unsure if they are maximizing potential returns.
Blooom is a legit company offering a unique service compared to other Robo-advisors by creating investment strategies to grow retirement funds. It’s rated high among personal finance sites. Unfortunately, the reviews on sites like Trustpilot are inconclusive and lack context.
If you have a 401(k) plan or a supported IRA account, then the free analysis can give you insights to improve your investment portfolios. Anyone can take advantage of the free service.
Additionally, the upgrade tiers with the low management fees provide a plethora of features. It’s essential to think about how your retirement portfolios are doing as it impacts your financial life.
Pros and Cons
- No hidden fees
- Automated and personalized
- Many employer-sponsored plans
- Human advisor access
- No customer support via phone
- Not available for taxable accounts
How to start a Blooom Analysis
The time needed: 3 minutes
Step-by-Step to open a Blooom account
- Get started
- Create an account by visiting Blooom.
- Complete profile
- Enter your information and answer questions.
- Link your retirement accounts
- Get your insights and review.
There is no direct competitor to Blooom’s retirement account management services. Alternatives like Personal Capital offers advice on 401k asset allocation but does not directly manage them. Read the Personal Capital Wealth review.
Does Blooom analyze other brokerage accounts?
Currently, Blooom offers analysis and management of employer-sponsored retirement plans and IRA accounts.
by Jason Vitug
Blooom Review: Is it worth it?
To complete this Blooom review, I tried out the service on my qualified IRA plan with Vanguard. It wasn’t surprising to me that I was doing quite well with my investments and there weren’t many optimizations needed. But I did enjoy seeing how financial technology would assess my asset allocation and the fees.
Pros and Cons
✓ A really good and free 401(k) portfolio analysis
✓ Manage your employer-sponsored plan
✓ Helpful information for hands-off investors
☓ The focus is a long-time horizon (retirement) so it lacks changing risk tolerances.
Should you try Blooom?
I would recommend trying the free analysis just to see how your retirement plan is working for you. For a free service, it’s quite extensive and robust and the enhancements offered can be completed by you without needing to sign up for the service. However, if you really want someone else working for your retirement goals, then paying the annual fee may definitely be worth every penny.
Overall, Blooom is that much-needed robo-advisor that is specifically helping you understand and manage your 401(k) and those select IRAs. Try out Blooom’s free analysis here.