- Betterment is a Robo-advisor helping you manage your money with guided investing, cash management, and retirement planning.
- No account minimums and low management fee.
- Wealthsimple Invest helps you align your values with socially responsible investments through diversified and low-cost ETFs.
- No minimum balance, Robo-advice, and access to financial advisors.
- For Canadian residents.
- Personal Capital Wealth Management is a fee-based investment advisory service with access to human advisors.
- Get a free analysis of your investments and speak with an advisor.
- Wealthfront Invest Robo-advisor helps you do less and earn more using tech to manage investments to achieve your financial goals.
- Minimum $500. Low management fee.
- Blooom helps you optimize and manage your employer-sponsored retirement plans no matter where you work or where the plan is held.
- Analysis of 401k, 403b, and IRAs for performance insights, asset allocation, and fund fees.
- FutureAdvisor is an online investment robo-advisor that automatically manages your investments.
- Manage investments holistically by linking external accounts to ensure each account’s benefits (tax deferrals or flexible investment options) are maximized.
- Backer is a Robo-advisor for your 529 plans helping you manage, monitor, and find low-cost funds for your child’s educational expenses.
- Get started in 5 minutes and discover the best plans and tax savings.
- BlockFi offers interest-earning accounts, low-cost crypto-backed loans secured, and fee-free trading of popular cryptocurrencies.
- Get zero transaction fees with no minimum balance requirements.
New Account Promo: Get up to $250 in Bitcoin for funding an account.
- Webull Crypto allows you to buy and sell cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH), and Litecoin (LTC).
- Zero-commission fees with 24/7 hour trading availability.
- $1 minimum balance.
Promotion: Get $5 of $SHIB for new crypto traders.
- Crypto.com is a crypto exchange with a mobile app and online platform.
- Buy and sell 90 cryptocurrencies with 20+ fiat currencies using bank transfers or your credit & debit card.
- A low-fee crypto exchange that offers much more.
- Coinbase is the largest cryptocurrency exchange with more than 50 cryptos.
- Buy, sell, and manage your cryptos.
- Earn crypto rewards for learning about cryptocurrencies.
Coinbase Promo: Get $5 of Bitcoin (BTC) for signing up.
- Voyager is a cryptocurrency broker to buy and trade 60+ digital assets in the crypto markets.
- Earn up to 12% rewards on specific crypto assets
- Zero commission trades
New Account Promo: Download the app and trade $100 to get $25 of free Bitcoin. Use Code: 4B63F075F
- Binance.US is a cryptocurrency exchange with more than 50 cryptos to buy, sell, and trade.
- Create an account in minutes, set recurring buys, and take advantage of low-cost trading.
- Robinhood Crypto is a mobile app to buy and sell cryptocurrency with commission-free trading.
- Buy fractions of cryptos with as little as $1.
- SoFi Crypto lets you buy and sell cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, and Ethereum Classic.
- Trade cryptos with as little as $5.
- Venmo crypto allows you to buy and sell four types of digital assets–Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, and Litecoin.
- Get started investing with as little as $1.
New Account Promo: New Venmo users get $5 for signing up and making a payment.
What is investing?
Investing is the act of committing money to an endeavor with the expectation of earning additional income or profit. There are a number of ways you can invest such as stocks, bonds, index funds, mutual funds, real estate, or your own business. There are many pros and cons to investing but depending on your risk tolerance one may be a better fit for you. Learn more about the basics of investing.
Investment Account Types
Probably the two most common types of investment accounts are retirement accounts in the form of either IRAs or variations of the 401k and traditional brokerage accounts. But there are a few others that can be used for specified purposes.
How to Find Best Investing Apps
Your portfolio is basically the total amount of investments you have in one or more investment account. To get started with a portfolio, answer the following three questions:
1. What kind of investment account do you want to open?
2. Where do you plan to open that account?
3. How much risk can you handle?
Each type of investment account, whether it’s a 401k plan, IRA, standard brokerage account, college savings 529 plan, or health savings account (HSA) will have its advantages and disadvantages.
Where you open your investment account matters because different brokerages will require different investment minimums, charge different fees, and allow for different investments in the account.
You also need to know how much risk you can handle because stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETFs, and other securities have different risks associated with market movements.
What are Discount Online Brokerages?
A discount online brokerage is often associated with companies like Charles Schwab and Ally Invest. A discount broker is a stockbroker that performs buy and sell orders at a reduced commission rate.
Most discount brokers operate using online platforms and mobile apps without the need to directly engage with a stockbroker.
Recently, most stock trading is now commission-free offered by the likes of Robinhood (who started the trend).
What are Micro-investing Apps?
Micro-investing apps help people accumulate investments in a small incremental way. Some apps allow investors to start with as little as $1 to buy a fraction of shares or ETFs (exchange-traded funds). The goal behind micro-investing is to open the stock market to people who may not have hundreds or thousands of dollars to get started.
What are Robo Advisors?
A robo-advisor is distinct from the other platform as it offers guided advice through an investment philosophy and proprietary algorithms.
A robo-advisor app gives smaller investors access to advisory services that were typically only offered to high net-worth individuals. These platforms offer you the opportunity to invest smaller amounts and pay lower fees compared to traditional investment advisors.