Credit Karma Tax online preparation is a free prep and filing service offered by the makers of the popular free credit score app Credit Karma.
The 2019 tax filing deadline and tax payments have been extended to July 15, 2020.
What is Credit Karma Tax?
Credit Karma Tax is a 100% free online tax preparation service to file both state and federal tax returns. It supports the most common forms and schedules but may not meet the needs of extremely complicated tax returns. To use Credit Karma Tax, you’ll need to have a free Credit Karma account where you also get free access to credit scores and report from two credit bureaus, plus credit monitoring and educational insights.
Credit Karma Tax Features
Credit Karma Tax is the simple and 100% free way to file your taxes from start to finish. Even if you’re taking deductions or credits, the cost is $0.
- Smart File – a streamlined filing process shows you only the sections that you need to file based on your tax situation. And if you’re a simple filer you can upload your W-2 information by just taking a photo.
- Audit Defense – automatically checks Credit Karma’s calculations for accuracy. In case of a calculation error, you’ll have Audit Defense free of charge.
- 24/7 Live Chat – speak with tax product specialists around the clock with your filing questions.
- Max Refund Guarantee – should you get a bigger refund or owe less in federal taxes when filing an amended return through another online tax prep service, Credit Karma pays you the difference up to $100 ($25 min).
- Accurate Calculations Guarantee – get reimbursed up to $1,000 in the event the IRS or state tax authority penalizes you due to a Credit Karma Tax calculation error.
- Easy to Switch – Save time by easily importing last year’s return from H&R Block, TurboTax or TaxAct.
Credit Karma Tax is free from start to finish and you won’t be asked to upgrade to a paid version later.
How to Get Your Refund
Request any refund due to you as a direct deposit into your checking account, paper check mailed to you, deposited into a Credit Karma savings account, or an American Express Serve Prepaid Card.