Your personal information is everywhere, today. Think about it: Bank statements, credit card offers, and even your favorite restaurant. With the growing number of data breaches, it’s becoming more difficult to keep your personal information safe. While using an identity theft protection service is the best way to protect your identity, there a few things you can do on your own.
- Check your credit report every month. Monitoring your credit report on a regular basis is kind of like getting a physical from your doctor – you may not realize there is anything wrong until you look.
- Check your credit card statements each month to make sure you recognize the charges.
- Keep a close eye on your mail. Familiarize yourself with your billing cycles and never leave bill payments inside your mailbox. Criminals may steal your mail and change your address.
Other ways to protect yourself from identity theft:
- Take care of where you share and provide your personal information
- Store sensitive documents in a secure place
- Shred any unneeded documents that contain personal, sensitive information
- Limit your use of email to send and share personal information