How to Order Your Free Credit Report

The article may contain affiliate links from one or more partners. Learn how we make money to continue our financial wellness mission.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. For example, you request your credit report on April 15 this year, you will not receive another free copy until 12 months later on April 15 or 16 of the following year.

Do not individually contact the three credit bureaus directly.

Get your free credit reports from the credit bureaus at

The three nationwide credit bureaus have set up one website, a toll-free telephone number, and mailing address through which you can order your free annual report. To order your free copy of your credit reports

  • Visit,
  • call 1-877-322-8228,
  • or complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form and mail it to:

Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

Reasons Why You Can Get A Free Credit Report

  1. You may order your reports from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies at the same time, or you can order one at a time which is more advisable.
  2. Pulling your credit report on will not impact your credit score.
  3. You’re also entitled to a free report if a company takes adverse action against you, such as denying your application for credit, insurance, or employment, based on information in your report. You must ask for your report within 60 days of receiving notice of the action. The notice will give you the name, address, and phone number of the credit reporting company.
  4. You’re also entitled to one free report a year if you’re unemployed and plan to look for a job within 60 days; if you’re on welfare; or if your report is inaccurate because of fraud, including identity theft.

Otherwise, a credit reporting company may charge you a reasonable amount for another copy of your report within a 12-month period.