Your credit health is vital on your journey to financial wellness. Knowing your credit score helps you determine how well you’re managing credit. It’s also a good indicator of your credit-worthiness for lending decisions.
I believe everyone should monitor their credit report and know their credit score. In fact, many financial experts agree. Sure, you can go ahead and pay myFICO for your FICO score or use a free app. For many, I recommend the latter option. But there are things I want you to consider before making a decision to pay or not pay.
Here is my complete Credit Sesame review.
What is Credit Sesame?
Credit Sesame is an app that allows you to monitor your credit report and get your free credit score. When they say free, they absolutely mean it. There is no free trial period with a membership fee at the end, and there’s no need to enter your payment information; the app is 100% free.
And yes, Credit Sesame is a legitimate business with an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
Is Credit Sesame a scam?
Credit Sesame, designed in 2009, is not a scam. For consumers, it’s truly a free way to monitor your credit reports and get a free credit score. The system tracks outstanding loans, credit cards, payments and more. With Credit Sesame, you will get access to your TransUnion credit report. You’ll also get a free credit score based on information found on your TransUnion report.
Credit Sesame Features
- Free Credit Score – Credit Sesame shows and updates your credit score on a monthly basis from the credit bureau, TransUnion. The free credit score is the VantageScore, which was created by all three credit bureaus. Although the credit score is not the infamous FICO score, the credit score you get is based on the information obtained from your credit report. What impacts your VantageScore may also impact your FICO score.
- Free Credit Monitoring – The credit monitoring feature alerts you to any important changes found in your report such as a new account and a recent credit inquiry. Alerts can help protect your identity and ensure the accuracy of information.
- Free Identity Theft Protection – Get $50,000 identity theft insurance along with professional support to restore your compromised identity.
- Credit Report Card – Credit Sesame provides you with information on the factors impacting your credit scores and offers suggestions to improve your credit health. The information focuses on five factors that impact your score: payment history, utilization, loan types, credit age, and credit inquiries.
- Credit and Loan Recommendations – With your credit profile, Credit Sesame is able to offer you recommendations for new credit cards, personal loans, consolidation options, as well as car loans and student loans. These recommendations match your credit profile with prospective lenders which is helpful.
Why is Credit Sesame free?
Credit Sesame earns money from referrals of loan products and services to its users. They also earn revenue from their paid premium services. When you decide to use a recommended product, their partner pays them, at no cost to you. If you decide to use their premium services, you’ll pay the monthly fee, as you would any other subscription service.
This is how Credit Sesame makes their app free to you. Again, when you download and use Credit Sesame it is free unless you decide you need more, and they offer more.
Credit Sesame offers paid premium services such as a 3 credit bureau monitoring service with Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Additionally, Credit Sesame offers an upgraded identity theft protection policy for $1 million for a fee. These premium services are not required and completely optional.
My Smile Review: Should you use Credit Sesame?
There’s a good reason to sign up for Credit Sesame. It’s free and you’re not obligated to anything. Well, you will get emails and product recommendations.
The app offers many features and benefits from credit monitoring toa free credit score. I recommend getting your free credit score to determine where you fall in the credit score range. This can help ease your mind if you have a healthy score or help you learn what areas need improvement to increase your score.
As an added benefit, the free $50,000 identity theft insurance offered is a plus. There’s no additional cost to that policy. It’s just another way Credit Sesame is differentiating itself and providing value to its users.
Should you get the app? Well, it doesn’t cost anything to sign up for Credit Sesame, And it’s a legitimate business with a safe and non-scammy business model. They use the latest technology to safeguard your personal information.
Check Credit Sesame out for yourself and see how it can help you manage your credit health.