The article may contain affiliate links from partners. The words, opinions, and reviews are our own. Learn how we make money to support our financial wellness mission.
Are you a tenth-grader? You can stay on track towards your college preparation with this checklist.
Here’s your to-do list for your sophomore year of high school.
10th Grade Checklist To Do
- Meet with your school counselor or mentor to discuss colleges and their requirements.
- Consider taking a practice Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) or the PLAN exam.
- Plan to use your summer wisely: work, volunteer, or take a summer course (away or at a local college).
- Go to career information events to get a more detailed look at career options.
- Research majors that might be a good fit for your interests and goals based on your results from the U.S. Department of Labor’s career search tool.
- Learn the different types of financial aid such as grants, loans, work-study, and scholarships.
- Learn about the Basics of Personal Finance
- Read How to Talk to Your Parents About Paying for College
- Find out whether your child’s school has college nights or financial aid nights. Plan to attend those events with your child.
- Help your child develop independence by encouraging him or her to take responsibility for balancing homework with any other activities or a part-time job.
- Learn about the standardized tests your child will be taking during the 10th through 12th grades.